Friday 28 March 2014

A beautiful smile

Sometimes you get a patient that really touches your heart. In some ways you shouldn't have favourites but really who could resist this teenage girl with her huge smile and laughter! I don't think she will never really understand what an impact she has made in so many peoples lives.

This girl has gone through so much, too much in some ways. It didn't start with her coming to the ship to have release of contractures it start with her getting burns and then getting contractures to her neck, both axillas and elbows.
But you would not know the pain she must have gone through cause the minute you meet here she gives you this smile and cheeky eyes. She wouldn't say much at the beginning, but if you could hear her now, she even speaks English!
beautiful
She had a huge operation in January to release her neck and both axilas and elbows. At home this would have been done in stages but here we have a time restraint, so she had it all done in one go. It has taken her a while for all her wounds to heal, but this week I had the privilege to do her dressing and tell her and mum they can leave the ship, the smiles from both were infectious, who could blame them for being so happy, they had been here since the beginning of January! I feel like I have had been on a roller-coaster  journey with her, from setbacks to praising God for the healing taking place to her quietly crying with pain. To her tickling me and laughing one minute to her trying to get away while I tried to do scar massage, I miss this girl so much already, but at least I know she can do a lot more now than she was able to do when she first got here, and that I had a very small part in that!



with mama

farewell party


No comments:

Post a Comment